Plantar-fasciitis? anyone here have it? - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Plantar-fasciitis? anyone here have it?

Plantar Fasciitis: From Causes to Treatment

My doctor examined me today and said that my foot is not fractured and i have this plantar-fasciitis. He said i have a high arch and from standing on me feet all the time combined with wearing heels has caused this. Has anyone had this and what have they done for it? Bacially i was given some pain meds and anti-inflamatory meds but it wont help get rid of it.
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
OMG SUPERSTAR
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,235
Feedback: (55)
Oh Charla, i'm sorry your suffering! It sounds very painful. I have never heard of this so i can't help, sorry. I hope you can find something to help you soon. Do you think therapy can help?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM
thestylechick's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10,459
Feedback: (13)
My beau is a podiatrist, he sees a ton of plantar fasciitis cases and is currently reading this over my shoulder.

Best thing is to wear stable shoes (Danskos and the like) and get some good arch supports, like SuperFeet. Ice the area three times a day and take 2 Aleve twice a day with food. If it is not better within three weeks, you may want to see a podiatrist (you mentioned your doc but I wasn't sure if he was a GP or a Pod).

Hope this helps!
__________________
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. ~ Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi0623 View Post
Oh Charla, i'm sorry your suffering! It sounds very painful. I have never heard of this so i can't help, sorry. I hope you can find something to help you soon. Do you think therapy can help?
No therapy. No heels and no pressure on the foot for a while. Ice and heat rotated but that hasnt helped. Nothing has helped and i am miserable. I limped around my clinic today with one shoe on and a couple of patients were not sympathetic, lol they looked disgusted. I did have a sock on though!
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestylechick View Post
My beau is a podiatrist, he sees a ton of plantar fasciitis cases and is currently reading this over my shoulder.

Best thing is to wear stable shoes (Danskos and the like) and get some good arch supports, like SuperFeet. Ice the area three times a day and take 2 Aleve twice a day with food. If it is not better within three weeks, you may want to see a podiatrist (you mentioned your doc but I wasn't sure if he was a GP or a Pod).

Hope this helps!
My business partner is a doctor and he is specialized in internal medicine but he basically told me the same stuff. I will go and see a specialist if it doesnt get better. Tell your beau THANK YOU, the arch support is probably a good idea.
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,022
Feedback: (6)
Ouch! I had PF when I was pregnant and it hurt so much, I missed a few days of work b/c I couldn't put any weight on my foot.

The Superfeet orthodics helped some, and doing some stretching exercises and Aleve. In my case, it went away after I had my baby, but Good Luck!

As an aside, I have been extremely careful about what kind of shoes I wear since then. Mainly, I stick to the supportive type brands, like Born, Ecco, Clarks, etc. It took me several years before I would wear flip flops again, b/c I anticipated so much discomfort.
__________________
Are you a HapaMama?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanwarrior View Post
Ouch! I had PF when I was pregnant and it hurt so much, I missed a few days of work b/c I couldn't put any weight on my foot.

The Superfeet orthodics helped some, and doing some stretching exercises and Aleve. In my case, it went away after I had my baby, but Good Luck!

As an aside, I have been extremely careful about what kind of shoes I wear since then. Mainly, I stick to the supportive type brands, like Born, Ecco, Clarks, etc. It took me several years before I would wear flip flops again, b/c I anticipated so much discomfort.
I will die if i have to wear big ugly shoes and no flip flops. I live in flip flops.
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
lawgal2002's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2 hours from the Gulf
Posts: 23,935
Feedback: (82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyL View Post
Plantar Fasciitis: From Causes to Treatment

My doctor examined me today and said that my foot is not fractured and i have this plantar-fasciitis. He said i have a high arch and from standing on me feet all the time combined with wearing heels has caused this. Has anyone had this and what have they done for it? Bacially i was given some pain meds and anti-inflamatory meds but it wont help get rid of it.
My sister has that and 2 years ago, she had surgery to correct it. Before the surgery, there were days where she couldn't even walk because of the pain. She has been much better after surgery. Her doctor is in Birmingham but I can see if she would recommend someone closer to you. Not all foot doctors do the surgery.
__________________
At some places they play football, at ALABAMA, WE LIVE IT. 2009, 2011 AND 2012 NCAA College Football National Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Phishphood's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 3,126
Feedback: (1)
My mom had it, she was given 4 options
1- Corrective surgery
2- Freeze the nerve so she can't feel the pain
3- Electroshock therapy
4- More cortizone shots

They gave her all the stretches but they never helped. She didn't want surgery and it was hard finding a place that even did the electroshock therapy so she stuck with the shots and got different shoes. That seems to have helped
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
lawgal2002's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2 hours from the Gulf
Posts: 23,935
Feedback: (82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
My mom had it, she was given 4 options
1- Corrective surgery
2- Freeze the nerve so she can't feel the pain
3- Electroshock therapy
4- More cortizone shots

They gave her all the stretches but they never helped. She didn't want surgery and it was hard finding a place that even did the electroshock therapy so she stuck with the shots and got different shoes. That seems to have helped
My sister did 2, 3, and 4 until the surgery was a necessity. I hope your mom can control it without the surgery. The recovery sucked for her, but the reward in the end was a good one.
__________________
At some places they play football, at ALABAMA, WE LIVE IT. 2009, 2011 AND 2012 NCAA College Football National Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
geebs's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,927
Feedback: (49)
One of the doctors that I work with has this. She says the only thing that helps is wearing her Crocs or Nike shox. I know, right? lol But it helps her cope with the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 AM
remonb's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 8,050
Feedback: (63)
I was diagnosed with this also about 2 years ago. It hurts to stand on my feet for more than 10 minutes and I normally have trouble walking a long distance so I have to either stand or walk on the sides of my feet to give the bottom a break. Basically I was given inserts to put into my boots to see if that would help but it didn't. The doctor decided that since the inserts wasn't working I would probably benefit from cortisone shots. I never went back because there was no way I was getting shots in my foot and potentially being medically discharged from the military. I still have problems with my feet today so much that I can't run without a burning sensation in my foot. I will be going back to the doctor within a few months to start getting the cortisone shots to see if that help. Hopefully the inserts will work for you. I have now learned that it is best to deal with the problem when it starts instead of prolonging it. Good luck Charla and I hope your feet start feeling better.
__________________
Dandrea
Click here to see my items listed by **fancy**pants**. She can offer a discounted price if sold through AF. Just send her a PM.
I want a cheap pair of WR Lisa Dark Handsand or Gardenia, size 29
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
bmorgan411's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 163
Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestylechick View Post
get some good arch supports, like SuperFeet.


I have Plantar-Fasciitis and my Dr. recommended that I try the SuperFeet insoles and the pain went away within a couple of weeks. It was much cheaper that the alternatives.

However, it might be a little tough to wear them in heels.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
lawgal2002's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2 hours from the Gulf
Posts: 23,935
Feedback: (82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebs View Post
One of the doctors that I work with has this. She says the only thing that helps is wearing her Crocs or Nike shox. I know, right? lol But it helps her cope with the pain.
Pretty much all my sis can wear and she had customized orthotics to go in them--arch support, insole thingys.
__________________
At some places they play football, at ALABAMA, WE LIVE IT. 2009, 2011 AND 2012 NCAA College Football National Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
bluefeevah's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 5,661
Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorgan411 View Post


I have Plantar-Fasciitis and my Dr. recommended that I try the SuperFeet insoles and the pain went away within a couple of weeks. It was much cheaper that the alternatives.

However, it might be a little tough to wear them in heels.
I also have PF (diagnosed when I worked retail has gotten MUCH better since then). Podiatrist recommended cortisone shots and orthodics. Orthodics did nothing and then he recommended Superfeet. I swear by the Blue Superfeet insoles. I have 2 pairs - one cut for work/dress shoes and one for my sneakers. I wouldn't be able to run without them.

ETA: I also had this foot brace thing that attached to my calf that I wore at night (just on my right foot - the bigger of my 2 feet). It would "stretch" out your arch/heel at night so the pain wasn't so severe in the morning. It actually really helped but it was kind of annoying to sleep with.
__________________
~Alanna~

Last edited by bluefeevah; 08-26-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Where can i get these superfeet? The anti-inflammatory drug is starting to work for me. My foot isnt swollen anymore but it still hurts to walk on it without my Nike shox.
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 PM
bluefeevah's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 5,661
Feedback: (3)
Since you have high arches I would suggest the Green Superfeet insoles. You can get them here:
Superfeet Premium Insoles : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

I use the blue ones also because my feet also roll-out (supinate). The blue one really helps control my foot and the way I land on my feet.
__________________
~Alanna~
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
jamiej's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near 2 Nordstrom Racks, N. CA
Posts: 7,576
Feedback: (137)
I had this when I trained for my first 1/2 marathon. The pain was so intense that I walked on my tippie toes for days. Orthopedic MD gave me a cortisone shot that lifted me off the table (In pain), but I was better after the shot and a week on crutches. Nike shoes were also part of the problem. I was having all sorts of foot/leg problems and I finally switched to Asics and I have been fine ever since.
Hope you feel better.
__________________
SELLING:BNWT TRUE RELIGION BECKY PURPLE SUPER T'S in Vera Cruz size 27 (tts) $169 US
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
zoki's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 4,434
Feedback: (9)
oh my gosh charla - that royally sucks!
__________________
i'd love some TR Emma in Medium Frontier - 25
“Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” Coco Chanel
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
remonb's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 8,050
Feedback: (63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
Orthopedic MD gave me a cortisone shot that lifted me off the table (In pain), but I was better after the shot and a week on crutches.
Good thing I said no to that shot I'll just try the superfeet first
__________________
Dandrea
Click here to see my items listed by **fancy**pants**. She can offer a discounted price if sold through AF. Just send her a PM.
I want a cheap pair of WR Lisa Dark Handsand or Gardenia, size 29
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
mandoir's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,321
Feedback: (41)
I had a "minor case" of this when I was playing soccer. I was on anti-inflammatory meds, used orthotics, and lots of ice. It's better now but I'm less active. When I'm working out or on my feet a lot I can get little flare-ups.
__________________
R.I.P. the Initiative 11/02/08 - 04/02/09 and Billy Mays 6/28/09
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
sunshine2103's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,414
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeevah View Post
I also have PF (diagnosed when I worked retail has gotten MUCH better since then). Podiatrist recommended cortisone shots and orthodics. Orthodics did nothing and then he recommended Superfeet. I swear by the Blue Superfeet insoles. I have 2 pairs - one cut for work/dress shoes and one for my sneakers. I wouldn't be able to run without them.

ETA: I also had this foot brace thing that attached to my calf that I wore at night (just on my right foot - the bigger of my 2 feet). It would "stretch" out your arch/heel at night so the pain wasn't so severe in the morning. It actually really helped but it was kind of annoying to sleep with.
I had horrible problems with plantar fascitis for years, it has actually improved on it's own. I'm very careful about my pic in shoe's and use inserts. I have the opposite problem, I have flat feet. My partner has been struggling with her plantar fascitis for about 18 months and about six months ago after a couple of cortisone shots that didn't do squat, she had a fascial release surgery and no longer has any problems with pain in that foot! I was avidly against the surgery because I was a massage therapist before being a nurse and I had been trained the surgery for fascitis or carpal tunnel is stupid...well it worked for her, so I guess it's not so stupid. She is going to have the other foot done so she can quit limping all the time! I know massage can be helpful, but it really requires consistency. The boot bluefeevah mentioned is also supposed to be good if you can stand to sleep in it.

I lived on 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours for a couple of years. It suck's! I never thought I'd recommend it, but surgery is a good option if the steroids and anti-inflammatories are not working. A podiatrist once told me, "We never think about our feet till they hurt, then that's all we can thing about." And it's so true!
__________________
Andromeda

Last edited by sunshine2103; 09-04-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
I've been on the anti-inflamatory for over a week now and its starting to feel a lot better. When i wake up in the morning i dont feel like i have nails going through my feet when i try to walk at least. The gel inserts in my shoes have helped a lot but i still have been too scared to try heels again.
__________________
Click here to see my items for sale by **fancy**pants**. She can offer discounts if sold through AF, just send her a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
bluefeevah's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 5,661
Feedback: (3)
I noticed my left heel started aching after workouts and when I would wake up earlier this week. I think my running shoes have worn down (it's been 6 months and way over 300 miles) and its time for a new pair of SuperFeet.

I made an appt with a new podiatrist (since I dont have one out here)...we'll see what he says. I don't think I would go with surgery for this, however. It's just not that bad that I am not able to walk or anything.
__________________
~Alanna~
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70