body fat percentage - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Jen5180's Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,469
Feedback: (10)
body fat percentage

what is considered "normal" for women?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
JingaBingaBeans's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 4,473
Feedback: (51)
Found this on the net. Might be totally off.

Typical body fat ranges for various theoretical Female body types

Athlete 17%
Lean 17-22%
Normal 22-25%
Above Average 25-29%
Overfat 29-35%
Obese 35+%
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM
CSRE's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,290
Feedback: (55)
i believe around 20-25%, but it does depend on age and other factors, i think you can find calculators online

ETA: Jinga beat me!
Here is another chart and some info Body Fat Percentage
__________________

I´m Coral

Last edited by CSRE; 06-29-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Jen5180's Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,469
Feedback: (10)
thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
T Doll's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 352
Feedback: (15)
Dumb question...is this the same as your BMI?
__________________
Tempt me with...R&R Alpha Logo Vetter (25), R&R Simon Shorts (25/26), Diesel Lowky's or Matics in any dark washes - (26)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
scatter_us_away's Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,161
Feedback: (19)
Nope...BMI is more a less a weight-to-height ratio, and does not take body composition into account. A muscular person may have a very high BMI but not be overweight. BF% is generally a better indicator of health.
__________________

Wishlist
Nolita Sigs, Chilie HW Bootcuts and Monaco A's, all to fit TTS 25
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 PM
T Doll's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 352
Feedback: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterusaway View Post
Nope...BMI is more a less a weight-to-height ratio, and does not take body composition into account. A muscular person may have a very high BMI but not be overweight. BF% is generally a better indicator of health.
Thank you, that's just what I thought but wasn't exactly sure The percentage numbers that were posted above sounded pretty similar to the BMI numbers, which confused me a little
__________________
Tempt me with...R&R Alpha Logo Vetter (25), R&R Simon Shorts (25/26), Diesel Lowky's or Matics in any dark washes - (26)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 214
Feedback: (0)
according to my healthometer scale, ages 20 to 29 is as follows:
13-18%: excellent
19-23%: normal
23-28%: moderate
28-33%: high
33-37%: very high

but there are probably other factors lol. maybe if u have big boobs then you'd have more body fat even though your skinny? lol!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 10,068
Feedback: (14)
13% for women is not healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flitting about the midwest
Posts: 21,191
Feedback: (170)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK86 View Post
but there are probably other factors lol. maybe if u have big boobs then you'd have more body fat even though your skinny? lol!

^^skinny people with big boobs tend to have boobs made of mostly breast tissue and not fat, though. that's why when they try to lose weight it doesn't budge from their boobs. I have a friend who's a tts 25 and a 34DD! (i kind of hate her...)

Now I'm really curious to see what my bf% is. My fat is pretty much all in one place so idk if the traditional measurements would work for me.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 PM
zoki's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 4,434
Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingaBingaBeans View Post
Found this on the net. Might be totally off.

Typical body fat ranges for various theoretical Female body types

Athlete 17%
Lean 17-22%
Normal 22-25%
Above Average 25-29%
Overfat 29-35%
Obese 35+%
this is pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary333 View Post
13% for women is not healthy.
__________________
i'd love some TR Emma in Medium Frontier - 25
“Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” Coco Chanel
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 721
Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianochica View Post
^^skinny people with big boobs tend to have boobs made of mostly breast tissue and not fat, though. that's why when they try to lose weight it doesn't budge from their boobs. I have a friend who's a tts 25 and a 34DD! (i kind of hate her...)

Now I'm really curious to see what my bf% is. My fat is pretty much all in one place so idk if the traditional measurements would work for me.
There are different ways of measuring bf%. There's the traditional skinfold calipers method, bioelectrical impedance, and hydrostatic bodyfat testing. The most accurate is hydrostatic bf testing. A personal trainer once told me there was about a 4% difference between hydrostatic bf testing and skinfold caliper measurements. Even with the skinfold caliper measurements there are different ways to measure for different populations, meaning they would take measurements from different places for an elite athlete than say the average gym goer.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Feedback: (153)
It would be nice to find out my BF%...I don't think I've ever gotten it "read" before.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 721
Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyLOVESlime View Post
It would be nice to find out my BF%...I don't think I've ever gotten it "read" before.
If you belong to a gym or just do a trial membership, ask a personal trainer and they will do it for free. And of course be prepared for them to try to sell you their services.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
zoki's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 4,434
Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog View Post
If you belong to a gym or just do a trial membership, ask a personal trainer and they will do it for free. And of course be prepared for them to try to sell you their services.
so true - when i was "measured" at my gym the first time, i was told that i was 26% BF. of course by some "miracle" i dropped to 21% in like 5 weeks after i hired a personal trainer. i never believed that it was that much, but i was leaner and felt stronger, so, i just went with it.

on the other hand, i saw a nutritionist who used the bioelectrical impedance method earlier this year. with callipers at the gym i was at 22%, with bioelectrical impedance i was 12%. that should tell a little bit about the accuracy of the methods use to measure BF.
__________________
i'd love some TR Emma in Medium Frontier - 25
“Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” Coco Chanel
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 721
Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoki View Post
so true - when i was "measured" at my gym the first time, i was told that i was 26% BF. of course by some "miracle" i dropped to 21% in like 5 weeks after i hired a personal trainer. i never believed that it was that much, but i was leaner and felt stronger, so, i just went with it.

on the other hand, i saw a nutritionist who used the bioelectrical impedance method earlier this year. with callipers at the gym i was at 22%, with bioelectrical impedance i was 12%. that should tell a little bit about the accuracy of the methods use to measure BF.
You can never really trust those measurements... Hydrostatic bf measurement is the only accurate method. The only practical thing you can do is see if there is a CHANGE before and after diet/exercise by using the same method and asking the same person to do the measurement for consistency.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
zoki's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 4,434
Feedback: (9)
^exactly.
__________________
i'd love some TR Emma in Medium Frontier - 25
“Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” Coco Chanel
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Feedback: (153)
Aww...I don't think I would go to the gym either way, I'm not looking to do anything, I'm just curious
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 721
Feedback: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyLOVESlime View Post
Aww...I don't think I would go to the gym either way, I'm not looking to do anything, I'm just curious
lol, i think they sell bioelectrical impedance machines at sharper image that you could try... oh wait, i think they went out of business. Maybe there's a store display you could try somewhere else
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 10,068
Feedback: (14)
I use electronic calipers and take three different readings. I average the three numbers and use that number as my base. The three numbers weren't that far off +/- 1-2%.

Of course, I didn't need any calipers to tell me that I was fat.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
zoki's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: los angeles, california
Posts: 4,434
Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdog View Post
lol, i think they sell bioelectrical impedance machines at sharper image that you could try... oh wait, i think they went out of business. Maybe there's a store display you could try somewhere else
i think that using the electronic calipers like vis uses is better. after my 12% reading, i don't trust those bioelectrical impedance machines.
__________________
i'd love some TR Emma in Medium Frontier - 25
“Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” Coco Chanel
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flitting about the midwest
Posts: 21,191
Feedback: (170)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyLOVESlime View Post
It would be nice to find out my BF%...I don't think I've ever gotten it "read" before.
I can tell you right now it'd probably be like 0%
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 03:06 PM
damaris's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,644
Feedback: (46)
I have a Tanita scale and they recommend taking a measurement after you wake up because water influences the reading throughout the day. That is probably why you got 12%.

Using mine, I'm about 19.5 to 20.5 which sounds about right.
__________________
Retail is for suckers.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
CSRE's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,290
Feedback: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyLOVESlime View Post
It would be nice to find out my BF%...I don't think I've ever gotten it "read" before.
there is a calculator on the link i posted, you just need to take some measures
__________________

I´m Coral
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
ShanaG's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,089
Feedback: (13)
I didn't see a calculator on that page, but I found a few others. They give a pretty wide range of numbers...I have: 18.85% (US Navy), 28.66% (YMCA), or 31.77% (US Navy).
I love how the two supposed US Navy formulations are over 1.5x different in the resulting number.
Can I pick and choose the lowest one?

ETA: This one also gives me 18.8% and says I am 0.7 lbs underweight, along with a bunch of other numbers that I don't know what to do with. And apparently I need 1788 calories per day.
__________________
Want: TR Billy in Dark Savannah (preferably Midnight Supers)

Last edited by ShanaG; 06-30-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72