What kind of gift do you bring to a bris? - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 
General Discussion Waste away the workday chatting about anything & everything.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
Feedback: (7)
What kind of gift do you bring to a bris?

My husband has been invited to the bris of his boss's son. Neither of us has ever been to a bris before, so we have no idea what kind of gift is best suited for this occasion... Thoughts? Thank you!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Did they register anywhere?

If not, cash or a gift card works.

EDIT: I'm sure a cute little outfit would be appreciated as well.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
Feedback: (7)
Thanks! I was thinking we should go the gift card route. Is a bris usually held during the day? My husband is kind of bummed that he will miss the Yankees victory parade!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
DarlinAnna's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bawstin!
Posts: 12,018
Feedback: (97)
I agree with the cash or gift card suggestion

As far as I know, they are mostly held during the day. Poor kid needs to sleep at night
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM
PunkySpunkyRae's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,924
Feedback: (2)
Bris' are indeed held during the day. If you are unsure of what to bring give a gift of cash. Chai, a symbol of "life" in the Jewish religion, literally translates to 18. Therefore, any cash amount with a denomination of 18 is a meaningful gift (such as $18, $36, $54 or $72). But clothes or toys for the baby are perfectly ok as well.

Hope that helps.
__________________
I must confess I'm here to kill the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkySpunkyRae View Post
Bris' are indeed held during the day. If you are unsure of what to bring give a gift of cash. Chai, a symbol of "life" in the Jewish religion, literally translates to 18. Therefore, any cash amount with a denomination of 18 is a meaningful gift (such as $18, $36, $54 or $72). But clothes or toys for the baby are perfectly ok as well.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, this is very helpful! Is there anything traditional to write on the card besides Mazel Tov?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
sliver's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,175
Feedback: (9)
Am I the only person who thinks it's kind of awkward to have a party for an occasion like that?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
PunkySpunkyRae's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,924
Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturequeen View Post
Thank you, this is very helpful! Is there anything traditional to write on the card besides Mazel Tov?
You can say any form of "congratulations (or mazel tov) on your new wonderful edition to the family...." etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
Am I the only person who thinks it's kind of awkward to have a party for an occasion like that?
The party is because the Bris is celebrating bringing the new baby into the Jewish tradition. Typically a traditional Jewish family does not have a baby shower or get any gifts (or even name the child) before the baby is born because it is considered extremely bad luck. The Bris is the culmination of everything and a celebration of the new life for both the family and friends of the newborn. So in essence you aren't celebrating the circumcision itself, but what it represents.
__________________
I must confess I'm here to kill the pain.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
lilcram's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NEW YAWK
Posts: 9,032
Feedback: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkySpunkyRae View Post
Bris' are indeed held during the day. If you are unsure of what to bring give a gift of cash. Chai, a symbol of "life" in the Jewish religion, literally translates to 18. Therefore, any cash amount with a denomination of 18 is a meaningful gift (such as $18, $36, $54 or $72). But clothes or toys for the baby are perfectly ok as well.

Hope that helps.

This.
__________________
RIP AF
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM
nicole44's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 4,466
Feedback: (1)
Never been to a Bris, but cash is king.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 AM
brody's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,530
Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
Am I the only person who thinks it's kind of awkward to have a party for an occasion like that?
Totally agreed. If your are going to mutilate your child's body, at least hve the decency to do it privately, regardless of this archaic "tradition."

Disgusting.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM
schniasuka's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,279
Feedback: (10)
^
__________________
my name is: lauren
tr: billy black rainbows...any wash! this is most important! 24ish!
7fam: hon raised a pockets 24 -- gwens with squiggles 24/25 -- dark jamaica pieced pocket dojos 24/25 -- all edies that fit me!
diesel: matic 81m 25 x 32
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 AM
brody's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,530
Feedback: (4)
^ WTF, let's chop up your vag and have a party!

Oh that's right, that is cruel because Africans do it.










Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
Feedback: (7)
Apparently, Hallmark does not make "bris" cards...or if they do my CVS did not have any. I got a "Welcome Baby Boy" card instead. I hope that is OK.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
lilcram's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NEW YAWK
Posts: 9,032
Feedback: (55)
Bris cards are available based on where you live but what you got will be fine.
__________________
RIP AF
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
annieboughtjeans's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,637
Feedback: (79)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkySpunkyRae View Post
You can say any form of "congratulations (or mazel tov) on your new wonderful edition to the family...." etc.
Probably should be "addition" instead of "edition"
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
shoesandbags's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 446
Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkySpunkyRae View Post
You can say any form of "congratulations (or mazel tov) on your new wonderful edition to the family...." etc.



The party is because the Bris is celebrating bringing the new baby into the Jewish tradition. Typically a traditional Jewish family does not have a baby shower or get any gifts (or even name the child) before the baby is born because it is considered extremely bad luck. The Bris is the culmination of everything and a celebration of the new life for both the family and friends of the newborn. So in essence you aren't celebrating the circumcision itself, but what it represents.
Very well put!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
shoesandbags's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 446
Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
Totally agreed. If your are going to mutilate your child's body, at least hve the decency to do it privately, regardless of this archaic "tradition."

Disgusting.
Why don't you have some respect and then shut the hell up??
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
shoesandbags's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 446
Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brody View Post
^ WTF, let's chop up your vag and have a party!

Oh that's right, that is cruel because Africans do it.










So I take it you are uncircumcised???
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandbags View Post
So I take it you are uncircumcised???
lol, i'm not getting into the circumcision debate, but do you really think this argument is valid? surely brody couldn't speak up at a few days old...but he can have an opinion now.

eta: whether i/you agree with his opinion is another thing.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
brody's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,530
Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandbags View Post
Why don't you have some respect and then shut the hell up??
Bitch please.
What is truly disrespectful is mutilating your children and throwing a party to celebrate this.
This practice will eventually be outlawed this century (and America maybe in the next century).

Disrespect is not giving someone the choice whether or not they want to have a part of their body removed. By tolerating this, you are just as bad as the sick bastards that do this to children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesandbags View Post
So I take it you are uncircumcised???
No, but my mother is hardly going to earn any points in the respect department or a mother of the year award.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
shoesandbags's Avatar
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 446
Feedback: (20)
I may or may not agree with this "tradition" either. I was just making the statement that Brody needed to have some respect for different cultures, religions and their traditions.

This wasn't a poll nor did it require opinions.... He turned it into that not me. The only opinion needed was what kind of gift to bring........... so if he doesn't have a suggestion......... then move on.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
brody's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,530
Feedback: (4)
I have total respect for cultures and their traditions that do not involve mutilating people. Had this been a thread what to bring to a girl's entrance to womanhood party and subsequent and public labiaplasty, women on this forum would be all over this shit.

Because this is a "tradition" that has been adopted by white upper class Americans, somehow, this is all OK.

But for sake of answering the question and what I was getting at all along, What to bring to a Bris... abso-fucking-lutely nothing but contempt!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,069
Feedback: (50)
They chop the dingy?!?!?
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
lilcram's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NEW YAWK
Posts: 9,032
Feedback: (55)
It's more of a celebration for the parents not the miz kid. I guess I don't see your point.

1)Getting chopped in a hospital setting
2)Getting chopped in the comfort of your own home

It's going to get done either way.
__________________
RIP AF
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70