Detox Diets and What Dr. Oz from Oprah says - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
lawgal2002's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2 hours from the Gulf
Posts: 23,935
Feedback: (82)
Detox Diets and What Dr. Oz from Oprah says

He says a typical detox diet, regardless of what kind, doesn't give people the benefits they have been THINKING they were getting. He did a test of 10 women, 5 on the detox plan and 5 were the control group. The detox group did a detox diet where you drink weird drinks for 10 days and the control group ate balanced diets that included protein, fiber, healthy fat, water, fruit, etc. At the end of the 10 days, there was no difference in the tests that were performed. What Dr. Oz did say was that the detox diet is a great way to KICK START a new way of eating.

Check out the transcript on Get Health, Beauty, Recipes, Money, Decorating and Relationship Advice on Oprah.com. if you are more interested!
__________________
At some places they play football, at ALABAMA, WE LIVE IT. 2009, 2011 AND 2012 NCAA College Football National Champions.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Meg's Avatar
Meg Meg is offline
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5,611
Feedback: (156)
I Dr. Oz
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
libby's Avatar
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,016
Feedback: (5)
^ agreed!
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
I like him too; he's very common-sense.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
jenn's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,234
Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal2002 View Post
He says a typical detox diet, regardless of what kind, doesn't give people the benefits they have been THINKING they were getting. He did a test of 10 women, 5 on the detox plan and 5 were the control group. The detox group did a detox diet where you drink weird drinks for 10 days and the control group ate balanced diets that included protein, fiber, healthy fat, water, fruit, etc. At the end of the 10 days, there was no difference in the tests that were performed. What Dr. Oz did say was that the detox diet is a great way to KICK START a new way of eating.

Check out the transcript on Get Health, Beauty, Recipes, Money, Decorating and Relationship Advice on Oprah.com. if you are more interested!
That's exactly what all reputable nutritionists have been always proclaiming. I'm glad someone popular repeated that for more people to learn.
__________________
If a dog's prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
denise's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lansing
Posts: 548
Feedback: (10)
thats great news.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
nicole44's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 4,466
Feedback: (1)
This reminds me of things like this.

"Colon Cleanse" Product Scam | RawVeg.info

Colon Cleanse Scam Ė Is There Any Truth To Colon Cleansing?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Denim Lover
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 398
Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal2002 View Post
What Dr. Oz did say was that the detox diet is a great way to KICK START a new way of eating.
I agree with that since it's working for me.
__________________
Iíll show you all my dirty tricks, then show 'em again Iím so proud of 'em
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
nic nic is offline
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 763
Feedback: (0)
he's the best! I am about to start the YOU diet again. I felt great when I was on it before.
__________________
"Strive for progess, not perfection"
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2007, 08:59 PM
lawgal2002's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2 hours from the Gulf
Posts: 23,935
Feedback: (82)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
he's the best! I am about to start the YOU diet again. I felt great when I was on it before.
Elaborate on this "YOU" diet. Please!
__________________
At some places they play football, at ALABAMA, WE LIVE IT. 2009, 2011 AND 2012 NCAA College Football National Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
1dustycat's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 675
Feedback: (17)
every show I have seem with him on it - he in in scrubs - what did he just run out of the OR to get to the show? makes me giggle.

Despite his love of scrubs, he seems to be a doc with some common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
nic nic is offline
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 763
Feedback: (0)
It's more of a way of eating and not really a diet. He is more about waist management and not as much weight loss.

His approach is that your body is a machine and there are certain foods that make it 'run' efficiently. He is really big on olive oil, walnuts, tomato sauce, spinach. Cutting out the refined sugars & flours. You can go to realage.com and take some evaluations and it will give you suggestions for diet and exercise. Also you can print a meal plan, shopping lists and recipes.

A typical day might be

Kashi Go Lean with skim milk and a handful of berries.

snack: 1/2 oz. of raw walnuts and 1 apple

Mixed greens w/craisins and walnuts

snack: banana

Turkey roll-ups with red potatoes

dessert:1oz of dk chocolate

snack: 1/2 oz. walnuts & 1 apple/pear/banana/plum

I have just really enjoyed his books because you see and understand the why behind everything. We all know soda is bad for you and has no caloric benefit, but what does it do to your body when you drink it? Stuff like that, I need to reread it again.
__________________
"Strive for progess, not perfection"
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 AM
jenn's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,234
Feedback: (17)
^^ Try "Breaking the food seduction", "Potatoes not Prozac", and in general books by John Robbins, and Fuhrman.
__________________
If a dog's prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 1,924
Feedback: (7)
Adding on to Jenn's list, "The China Study" is amazing if you want to see what certain foods do to you. Craziness.
__________________
Check out my items listed for sale by **fancy**pants** She can offer discounts to members if sold thru AF. Just PM her to inquire.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
jenn's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,234
Feedback: (17)
^^ Oh yes, love it!
__________________
If a dog's prayers were answered, bones would rain from the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 762
Feedback: (1)
yes, awesome books!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,113
Feedback: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
It's more of a way of eating and not really a diet. He is more about waist management and not as much weight loss.

His approach is that your body is a machine and there are certain foods that make it 'run' efficiently. He is really big on olive oil, walnuts, tomato sauce, spinach. Cutting out the refined sugars & flours. You can go to realage.com and take some evaluations and it will give you suggestions for diet and exercise. Also you can print a meal plan, shopping lists and recipes.

A typical day might be

Kashi Go Lean with skim milk and a handful of berries.

snack: 1/2 oz. of raw walnuts and 1 apple

Mixed greens w/craisins and walnuts

snack: banana

Turkey roll-ups with red potatoes

dessert:1oz of dk chocolate

snack: 1/2 oz. walnuts & 1 apple/pear/banana/plum

I have just really enjoyed his books because you see and understand the why behind everything. We all know soda is bad for you and has no caloric benefit, but what does it do to your body when you drink it? Stuff like that, I need to reread it again.
This sounds a lot like the Abs Diet. It was a way of eating also, not really a "diet". I felt so good when I was on it and I lost major inches.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Lady_Shakespeare's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,622
Feedback: (23)
I just did a two day juice/detox fast for the simple reason that I needed to kick start my healthy eating. So far, it's going great (the two day fast didn't kill me either!) and I'm not calling it a "diet" but a new approach to eating. So far, Ive lost six pounds AND can fit into my spice crystals again !!!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,340
Feedback: (23)
Yeah, I have doctors in my family who tell my that the body is really self-cleansing-- the detox diets are completely unnecessary except, of course, as a psychological maneuver. They can help get you into healthier habits, for sure.
__________________
Beth
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,340
Feedback: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkah View Post
Adding on to Jenn's list, "The China Study" is amazing if you want to see what certain foods do to you. Craziness.
This is an amazing book!
__________________
Beth
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70