Is milk good for you? - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
ShakeMySmirnoff's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,075
Feedback: (4)
Is milk good for you?

I'm only asking cause I'm very confused about the matter. Some people say it's not healthy due to the fact that they inject hormones into the cow's and drinking the milk has some sort of link to cancer? Other's say it's a must to build muscle and strengthen bones and the hormones rumor is false.

I really love drinking milk and i'm trying to drink more of it to gain bone strength and help loose weight.

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
generally speaking, yes.
try milk with no hormones or antibiotics in it if that makes you feel better.

there are many who believe humans shouldn't drink cow's/goat's milk, soy milk is really an acquired taste.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
lmspag's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,995
Feedback: (8)
If you're worried about the hormones then buy organic. Milk is very good for you and a great source of calcium but it's also high in sodium so watch that too. I haven't heard anything about the hormones being linked to cancer but my Pediatrician has mentioned girls reaching puberty sooner because of the hormones. I guess this explains why all the 14 year olds have massive breasts

ETA: Too slow, damn Shi, you're quick
__________________
Lynne
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM
ShakeMySmirnoff's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,075
Feedback: (4)
Thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah, i don't know if I can do soy milk, lol. I've tried it once and I almost vomited. I agree soy milk is definitely an acquired taste.

I've heard about just buying organic milk as well. It'll probably be more expensive but i'll try it out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Flitting about the midwest
Posts: 21,191
Feedback: (170)
Milk (specifically casein, one of its proteins) is the #1 most common allergen...and a lot of people don't even realize they have a sensitivity to it (this is completely different from lactose intolerance, btw)

Plus, we aren't baby cows. There's a reason we wean our babies off human milk eventually. It's not something non-babies are meant to consume

If soymilk isn't your thing, and you're not sensitive to tree nuts, you might try almond milk--it also has quite a bit fewer calories than soymilk, which is a bonus.

More on casein allergies: casein allergies - Yahoo! Search Results
(this one explains the "leaky gut" sensitivity, which is more common, vs. an anaphylactic reaction as you'd get with a peanut allergy: Casein Sensitivity )
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianochica View Post
Milk (specifically casein, one of its proteins) is the #1 most common allergen...and a lot of people don't even realize they have a sensitivity to it (this is completely different from lactose intolerance, btw)

Plus, we aren't baby cows. There's a reason we wean our babies off human milk eventually. It's not something non-babies are meant to consume

If soymilk isn't your thing, and you're not sensitive to tree nuts, you might try almond milk--it also has quite a bit fewer calories than soymilk, which is a bonus.

More on casein allergies: casein allergies - Yahoo! Search Results
(this one explains the "leaky gut" sensitivity, which is more common, vs. an anaphylactic reaction as you'd get with a peanut allergy: Casein Sensitivity )
i knew that was coming...
it's not true that milk is not meant for non-babies. reasons behind weaning from HUMAN milk is a different topic.

yeah, if you're allergic to casein/lactose, there are alternatives.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
annieboughtjeans's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,637
Feedback: (79)
What does having an allergy to casein have anything to do with milk being good for you?


Shi, you ARE really fast!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
nakedmosher2of3's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 3,184
Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeMySmirnoff View Post
I'm only asking cause I'm very confused about the matter. Some people say it's not healthy due to the fact that they inject hormones into the cow's and drinking the milk has some sort of link to cancer? Other's say it's a must to build muscle and strengthen bones and the hormones rumor is false.

I really love drinking milk and i'm trying to drink more of it to gain bone strength and help loose weight.

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.
Milk is super good for you if you are trying to gain lean muscle and lose weight.

Make sure you stick to skim or 1% max.

It's also good to eat your proteins with complex carbs for better digestion of all the good bone building yummyness!
__________________
J Brand Skinny Jeans 10" size 26 or 27
SFAM Prague Kates sz 26
Maybe something Paige or J Brand Lovestory??
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
pinkpenguinsx3's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 502
Feedback: (5)
I drink milk all the time/did when I was younger, and my boobs are anything but massive! What a ripoff!

Just kidding.

I love milk.
__________________
-brigid
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 1,924
Feedback: (7)
Eh, I think it's okay but it's not a superfood for adults. It's good in coffee, ice cream, etc, but I would be grossed out to drink a glass of it.

Lifting weights/doing resistance exercises will have a greater impact than drinking a ridiculous amount of milk. (Link - exercise + additional calcium is the best bet.)

I think the hormone supplementation is ridiculous though. It is illegal in Canada, Australia, Europe (I think), basically anywhere I would live except the US. I buy hormone free dairy! Link here.
__________________
Check out my items listed for sale by **fancy**pants** She can offer discounts to members if sold thru AF. Just PM her to inquire.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
^ yeah I buy all hormone free too.
For the record, I never claimed that milk is a super-food for adults. The question was "is milk good for you" and I said yes.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 1,924
Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
^ yeah I buy all hormone free too.
For the record, I never claimed that milk is a super-food for adults. The question was "is milk good for you" and I said yes.
Yes, for sure! Anyway it is delicious. I gave up dairy for lent one year and it was a disaster, especially because my fiance is Swiss so he is obsessed with all sorts of cheeses.
__________________
Check out my items listed for sale by **fancy**pants** She can offer discounts to members if sold thru AF. Just PM her to inquire.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM
nakedmosher2of3's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 3,184
Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkah View Post
Eh, I think it's okay but it's not a superfood for adults. It's good in coffee, ice cream, etc, but I would be grossed out to drink a glass of it.

Lifting weights/doing resistance exercises will have a greater impact than drinking a ridiculous amount of milk. (Link - exercise + additional calcium is the best bet.)

I think the hormone supplementation is ridiculous though. It is illegal in Canada, Australia, Europe (I think), basically anywhere I would live except the US. I buy hormone free dairy! Link here.
Obviously milk can't make you gain a ton of muscle. You need to lift weights and break down the muscle fiber but skim milk is definately a lean protein which will help aid muscle growth and recovery.
__________________
J Brand Skinny Jeans 10" size 26 or 27
SFAM Prague Kates sz 26
Maybe something Paige or J Brand Lovestory??
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 PM
shelleysbitch's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 8,760
Feedback: (60)
The short answer is....Yes It Is Good For You.
__________________
Desperate for: R&R Pink or Blue Chroma Jaggers in size 31 or 32
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,631
Feedback: (6)
Your question is not very specific. Milk has macro and micronutrients in it that are good for you, yes. But all of those can quite easily be obtained from other food sources. However, milk does contain ample amounts of casein, which has strong correlations with many disease processes. The dairy industry is quite powerful, so it will probably take decades for adult milk consumption to drop to more logical levels.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 1,770
Feedback: (11)
milk is not good for you.
we lose 90-95% of the enzyme needed to break down lactose between the ages of 18 months and 4 years because it is true adults of any species were never intended to drink milk.
it is obviously fattening (because the actual purpose of cows' milk is to nurse a 100lb baby calf into a 2000lb cow!) and in no way a deterrent to osteoperosis. the medical field knows damn well that dairy is bad for people. and by the way ya dont need half as much protein as you probably think you do.
wow the dairy industry really does have the majority fooled..

Last edited by littlespesh; 07-02-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,631
Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlespesh View Post
milk is not good for you.
we lose 90-95% of the enzyme needed to break down lactose between the ages of 18 months and 4 years because it is true adults of any species were never intended to drink milk.
it is obviously fattening (because the actual purpose of cows' milk is to nurse a 100lb baby calf into a 2000lb cow!) and in no way a deterrent to osteoperosis. the medical field knows damn well that dairy is bad for people. and by the way ya dont need half as much protein as you probably think you do.
wow the dairy industry really does have the majority fooled..
you seem to have read the book, "skinny bitch"
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 1,770
Feedback: (11)
changed my life
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
meh

i'd like more proof than a couple of women who advocate veganism to the nth degree and despise the meat industry. they also advocate eating only enough to survive...hence bordering on condoning eating disorders (they encourage thinking about how disgusting food is...decaying meat with pus, etc).

grain of salt, imo.

dairy, in moderation, is fine.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,631
Feedback: (6)
^ i have not read the book, but there is no paucity in the medical science literature when it comes to the health benefits that go along with caloric restriction. longevity being the most discussed because of it's obvious appeal.

dairy does not do well when being framed in a discussion of health PROs vs CON's. I realize not everone has access to medical journals, but the health effects of casein consumption are one of the major CONs that should be easily found on Google.

does this mean you should not consume dairy? IDK. I still enjoy dairy products because things with dairy taste good. However, the research demonstrating the negative health effects that go along with dairy is unequivocal. Any argument against this reality and favoring dairy consumption must show that any of the postive macro or micro nutrients obtained from dairy consumption are either 1) not present in other foodstuffs, or 2) too difficult to obtain from other foodstuffs. You will find the pursuit of either of those arguments to be fairly fruitless.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Dojoqueen's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here
Posts: 36,827
Feedback: (101)
^ i haz medical journalz

i agree with you. I enjoy dairy products but as with everything, restricting or over-indulgence is unnecessary.

I still believe in moderation. it hasn't failed me yet.
__________________
you buy now
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
nakedmosher2of3's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 3,184
Feedback: (17)
So I may live until 79 instead of 81 if I drink milk.... That's a risk I'm willing to take!
__________________
J Brand Skinny Jeans 10" size 26 or 27
SFAM Prague Kates sz 26
Maybe something Paige or J Brand Lovestory??
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,117
Feedback: (7)
Couldn't help stepping in. My background is in consumer research, and I happened to have read a great deal of research on beverages. It has been found that over 80% of adults have lactose intolerance, and the hypothesis is that it is precisely because a human body isn't meant to digest milk after a tender age of 3 or 4. Over the years, we acquire a certain tolerance to it, some more, some less - but the whole "milk - it does a body good" mentality is cultivated by the dairy industry, much like the ill-fated food pyramid that was FDA-approved through the lobbying of certain industries that's been recently disbanned (that has carbs on the bottom). You know, the food pyramid according to which the government feeds the prison inmates and the institutionalized insane. That one.

Products made of fermented milk (cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.) do not cause as high an intolerance reaction typically because the enzymes have been transformed (yet a great number of people still have intolerance to these products as well).

The general school of thought that "milk is for cows" is alive and well. And every "good" protein, vitamin and enzyme that's found in milk is also found in other products (lettuce, for instance) and thus milk is not necessary for grownups. But hey, buying lots of jeans isn't good for me either, yet I do it routinely - so enjoy what you enjoy, eh?

Last edited by TR_Junkie; 07-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Denim Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 1,770
Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojoqueen View Post
meh

i'd like more proof than a couple of women who advocate veganism to the nth degree and despise the meat industry. they also advocate eating only enough to survive...hence bordering on condoning eating disorders (they encourage thinking about how disgusting food is...decaying meat with pus, etc).

grain of salt, imo.

dairy, in moderation, is fine.
i dont remember reading anything like that. in fact they pretty much espouse that when you eat clean, healthy food you can eat as much of it as you want and feel good about it..

im italian, i LOVE me some cheese. i'm all for moderation too, although i don't often practice it . Op asked if milk is good for you and the short answer is no it is not.

Last edited by littlespesh; 07-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM
lmspag's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 2,995
Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_Junkie View Post
Couldn't help stepping in. My background is in consumer research, and I happened to have read a great deal of research on beverages. It has been found that over 80% of adults have lactose intolerance, and the hypothesis is that it is precisely because a human body isn't meant to digest milk after a tender age of 3 or 4. Over the years, we acquire a certain tolerance to it, some more, some less - but the whole "milk - it does a body good" mentality is cultivated by the dairy industry, much like the ill-fated food pyramid that was FDA-approved through the lobbying of certain industries that's been recently disbanned (that has carbs on the bottom). You know, the food pyramid according to which the government feeds the prison inmates and the institutionalized insane. That one.

Products made of fermented milk (cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.) do not cause as high an intolerance reaction typically because the enzymes have been transformed (yet a great number of people still have intolerance to these products as well).

The general school of thought that "milk is for cows" is alive and well. And every "good" protein, vitamin and enzyme that's found in milk is also found in other products (lettuce, for instance) and thus milk is not necessary for grownups. But hey, buying lots of jeans isn't good for me either, yet I do it routinely - so enjoy what you enjoy, eh?
This is absolutely wrong. In fact the human body is less able to digest milk proteins at a young age which is why parents are taught to not give their children milk products until after one year of age. Although most infant formulas are made with milk they are made with a specific enzyme that breaks down the proteins in order for the infant digestive system to be able to digest the proteins.
__________________
Lynne
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72