Hair Product advice - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 
AF Beauty & Hair Have tips? Discuss the best in make up, skin care & hair products.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Hair Product advice

I searched the forum for suggestions on piecy hair and found nothing... I just lopped off about 15" and now have hair that was supposed to resemble:



It's slightly different since the stylist just chose not to copy the hairstyle...and now it's a little bit flatter than I'd like it to be (and I have thick, thick hair so I've always had the opposite problem). Anyway, I've never had short hair and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on volumizing sprays and especially pomades/texturizers/hair wax or whatever you're supposed to use to get that piecy look. Thanks!
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Denim Goddess
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 14,606
Feedback: (10)
I used to use a texturizer/volumizer styling lotion type of thing by Rusk when I had a short cut.. I really liked it, but I forget what it was called though It came in a purplish grey tube.

and omg! I also have that pic saved on my laptop I was going to use it when I go to get my haircut
__________________
Carol
Still Need: (all R&R in a 27) Stellar Green Crowns, Demure Flex, Opal, Quaalude Flaming Hearts, Harlan Deathgrips!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
iammrsd's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 820
Feedback: (25)
I really like Bumble & Bumble SumoTech or SumoWax. They have a great line of products for getting a piecey look.

ETA:
Prive also makes a great wax, and it is very lightweight and easy to use

Here it is...http://www.amazon.com/Prive-Detailin..._bxgy_bt_img_b
__________________
Laura

Last edited by iammrsd; 02-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolicious View Post
I used to use a texturizer/volumizer styling lotion type of thing by Rusk when I had a short cut.. I really liked it, but I forget what it was called though It came in a purplish grey tube.

and omg! I also have that pic saved on my laptop I was going to use it when I go to get my haircut
it's such a cute cut! i have yet to learn how to tell a hair stylist that they're doing it wrong though, haha.

is it this? Amazon.com: Rusk Radical Creme Thickening and Texturizing Creme 4oz: Beauty

and just put it at the tips of the hair to separate or run all the way through?
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrsd View Post
I really like Bumble & Bumble SumoTech or SumoWax. They have a great line of products for getting a piecey look.

ETA:
Prive also makes a great wax, and it is very lightweight and easy to use

Here it is...Amazon.com: Prive Detailing Pomade No. 43, 4-Ounce Jar: Beauty
The B&B products look awesome!!! It seems the difference is that the wax has more hold than the tech. Is the hold only an issue if you use it as an all over smoother? Or...?
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:58 PM
iammrsd's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 820
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
The B&B products look awesome!!! It seems the difference is that the wax has more hold than the tech. Is the hold only an issue if you use it as an all over smoother? Or...?
The SumoTech is a putty, and in my experience helps to create more volume in the hair, minus the greasiness you can get from a wax. It doesn't hold as long as the wax IMO. (This one does have a matte finish)

SumoWax is great too though, because you heat it in the jar with your hairdryer to melt it a little, then when you put it in the hair it hardens a bit to keep the shape that you are looking for - almost like a memory hold.

I like to apply these only after the hair has been dried and styled. These are what really give you the piecey look.
__________________
Laura
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
^sorry I have so many questions. i've pretty much been in a ponytail for the last 5 years.

applying to the ends will do enough to create the piecy look, right? or will it be something that I'll need to start farther up from the ends?

also, do you have any aerosol hairspray suggestions?
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
iammrsd's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 820
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
^sorry I have so many questions. i've pretty much been in a ponytail for the last 5 years.

applying to the ends will do enough to create the piecy look, right? or will it be something that I'll need to start farther up from the ends?

also, do you have any aerosol hairspray suggestions?
No problem! I always explain to clients to get a small amount (pea size), rub palms together to get the product all ovet your hands, then curl your fingers into a claw-like position (sounds wierd, I know ) and then "scratch" it in lightly all ovet the hair. You want to kind of make it messy looking at first, then you can go back over it again to smooth and define.

I hope that makes sense...it's hard to put it into words

I am most comfortable working with Bumble products, and they have a couple of great aerosol hairsprays.

Strong Hold (Classic Hairspray): Bumble and bumble. | Official Site | Shop Online
Workable Hold (Does it All Spray): Bumble and bumble. | Official Site | Shop Online

(Mods, I hope it's okay to put links in here...if not, please remove)
__________________
Laura
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Denim Goddess
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 14,606
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
it's such a cute cut! i have yet to learn how to tell a hair stylist that they're doing it wrong though, haha.

is it this? Amazon.com: Rusk Radical Creme Thickening and Texturizing Creme 4oz: Beauty

and just put it at the tips of the hair to separate or run all the way through?
nope, not that one.. it's this one:


http://www.shampoofashion.com/index....oducts_id=2566

Quote:
This versatile formula builds volume, thickens, tames frizziness, creates separation, and provides curl definition or smooths and controls. The Conditioners and moisturizers improve dry and damaged areas.
It's the product my stylist put in my hair and recommended to me when I first got my cut which looks quite similar to the pic you posted. I'd put it in when my hair was wet and then blow dry (if I wasn't lazy but most of the time I'd just air dry). I never had a bad hair day when I used to use this stuff! My stylist said this also worked as a heat protectant.. but I'm not sure if that's true.
__________________
Carol
Still Need: (all R&R in a 27) Stellar Green Crowns, Demure Flex, Opal, Quaalude Flaming Hearts, Harlan Deathgrips!

Last edited by carolicious; 02-02-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
do you happen to know if that is a reputable site?
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
sungy's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,593
Feedback: (110)
I have this same haircut, minus the bangs.

I think the ideal product will also depend upon your hairtype.

For several years, I've used B&B's SumoTech also. Although I like it, I didn't love it. It is too hard of a texture for my taste and you really have to work it back and forth along your fingers and/or palms to warm it up so it will glide and not leave white blobs along the hair shaft. It also is very "tacky" feeling and I don't like to work it from roots to end. My hair will not keep it in the places I originally put it in throughout the day but the product below does. My stylist told me it was developed for Sumo wrestlers, hence the name, so maybe it is better for more rigid styles. IDK if that's really true though. Again, it may work better for certain hair types but not mine which is thick and a smooth shaft.

I still use it for certain things, but what I really use for the piecey ends is Chi Pliable Polish. I absolutely love it because it makes perfect pieces and will keep a sweep of the bangs. I even use it in my son's hair. Very easy to work with, not that expensive, and only need a very little amount. Also, it can be reactivated with water, which is great during the day. Because it's in a tube, it doesn't get hard like SumoTech being in a jar will.

Chi Pliable Polish
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Denim Goddess
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 14,606
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
do you happen to know if that is a reputable site?
lol I have no idea. They have it on other places though. I know I saw some on Amazon. Try doing a search for Rusk Gutsy
__________________
Carol
Still Need: (all R&R in a 27) Stellar Green Crowns, Demure Flex, Opal, Quaalude Flaming Hearts, Harlan Deathgrips!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 AM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrsd View Post
No problem! I always explain to clients to get a small amount (pea size), rub palms together to get the product all ovet your hands, then curl your fingers into a claw-like position (sounds wierd, I know ) and then "scratch" it in lightly all ovet the hair. You want to kind of make it messy looking at first, then you can go back over it again to smooth and define.

I hope that makes sense...it's hard to put it into words

I am most comfortable working with Bumble products, and they have a couple of great aerosol hairsprays.

Strong Hold (Classic Hairspray): Bumble and bumble. | Official Site | Shop Online
Workable Hold (Does it All Spray): Bumble and bumble. | Official Site | Shop Online

(Mods, I hope it's okay to put links in here...if not, please remove)
It makes sense, don't worry. I feel like a dummy clawing my hair in front of a computer now though I'm definitely getting the workable hold one. Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungy View Post
I have this same haircut, minus the bangs.

I think the ideal product will also depend upon your hairtype.

For several years, I've used B&B's SumoTech also. Although I like it, I didn't love it. It is too hard of a texture for my taste and you really have to work it back and forth along your fingers and/or palms to warm it up so it will glide and not leave white blobs along the hair shaft. It also is very "tacky" feeling and I don't like to work it from roots to end. My hair will not keep it in the places I originally put it in throughout the day but the product below does. My stylist told me it was developed for Sumo wrestlers, hence the name, so maybe it is better for more rigid styles. IDK if that's really true though. Again, it may work better for certain hair types but not mine which is thick and a smooth shaft.

I still use it for certain things, but what I really use for the piecey ends is Chi Pliable Polish. I absolutely love it because it makes perfect pieces and will keep a sweep of the bangs. I even use it in my son's hair. Very easy to work with, not that expensive, and only need a very little amount. Also, it can be reactivated with water, which is great during the day. Because it's in a tube, it doesn't get hard like SumoTech being in a jar will.

Chi Pliable Polish
Thank you! I think I'll pick up this and the sumo tech, just to be safe.
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM
sungy's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,593
Feedback: (110)
^ I think that's a great idea.

Both wonderful products, and for me, I use both in different ways.

And, we'd love to see your hair!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungy View Post
^ I think that's a great idea.

Both wonderful products, and for me, I use both in different ways.

And, we'd love to see your hair!
I parted it differently than the stylist did and I think I look less like a boy now...? Thoughts?

__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
juliejul's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 727
Feedback: (27)
I think it's really cute and suits your face! You're so brave to chop off that much hair. To me it looks pretty close to the inspiration picture you posted - I have no idea how to do anything with hair but I feel like tousled correctly it'll look really similar.

Last edited by juliejul; 02-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 AM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Yeah, I was thinking that too. She just styled it really poorly the first time, but she was in a rush so w/e.
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM
sungy's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,593
Feedback: (110)
You're so cute
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70