Laser hair removal? Anyone gotten it? - AuthenticForum
 
AuthenticForum
  Register FAQ Members List Arcade Search Chat Mark Forums Read  
Register

 
 
AF Beauty & Hair Have tips? Discuss the best in make up, skin care & hair products.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loving life!-outside of the city, Washington
Posts: 14,498
Feedback: (37)
Laser hair removal? Anyone gotten it?

I didn't notice any recent threads when I was browsing so I figured I'd start one of my own.

Have any of you gotten laser hair removal? If so, how much does it cost and did you have good results? We don't have any place that does it near me, but when we move to a big city I plan to look into it. I want to get it done on my arms and legs before I get more tattoos (and will have to get electrolysis around my existing tattoo).
__________________
Hi baby!!!!!
TR gunmetal & desperado & road dog joeys 24 sz 23 aquarius/barcelona/rifle/duke/moss savoys
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
**fancy**pants**'s Avatar
William Rast Expert Asst.
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eugene/Springfield, Oregon
Posts: 24,039
Feedback: (165)
FriskyL (a Moderator here) owns a Spa that offers Laser Hair Removal. She can tell you all about it.
__________________
~Amber~
Fancy Pants Resell & Consignment
'Like Me' on Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Feedback: (0)
Yes. I have gotten it and am continuing to do it. I LOVE it. I have light skin and dark hair, so I am a perfect candidate. It is such a relief to get rid of unwanted hair-especially if you have it in visible places like the upper lip like I did. Different places have different price points. I went somewhere that was recommended to me. It is important to go to a reputable place. The cheaper places use different lasers with different frequencies-the ones that are not as strong, do not produce the same results and might cause you to keep going and spending $. The cheaper places also do not apply gel to the area being treated-the gel reduces the pain.

In between treatments, your hair will grow before it stops and dies. So you shave the area being treated. This is the part I was most weary of. However, since the laser kills the root-there is no stubble or anything like that. It is smooth. In the beginning, you might shave a couple times a week. However, every time you do laser, you will notice less and less growth=less shaving.

There will be a point where the hair is too fine to be lasered in certain spots-for me upper lip and underarm. When you reach this point, there are so few hairs and they are so fine, you just use electrology. You will see literally one hair or 2 hairs growing after laser, but you can shave that one LOL or have electrology.

Ok, I hope this helps. Laser saved my life-worth every penny!

ETA: large areas like arms and legs are the most expensive. If you do the full leg, it's like 1000 dollars a leg. But you can do spots at a time and move down. or, Just the spots you plan on tattooing.

Last edited by sunshine23; 05-04-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine23 View Post
Yes. I have gotten it and am continuing to do it. I LOVE it. I have light skin and dark hair, so I am a perfect candidate. It is such a relief to get rid of unwanted hair-especially if you have it in visible places like the upper lip like I did. Different places have different price points. I went somewhere that was recommended to me. It is important to go to a reputable place. The cheaper places use different lasers with different frequencies-the ones that are not as strong, do not produce the same results and might cause you to keep going and spending $. The cheaper places also do not apply gel to the area being treated-the gel reduces the pain.

In between treatments, your hair will grow before it stops and dies. So you shave the area being treated. This is the part I was most weary of. However, since the laser kills the root-there is no stubble or anything like that. It is smooth. In the beginning, you might shave a couple times a week. However, every time you do laser, you will notice less and less growth=less shaving.

There will be a point where the hair is too fine to be lasered in certain spots-for me upper lip and underarm. When you reach this point, there are so few hairs and they are so fine, you just use electrology. You will see literally one hair or 2 hairs growing after laser, but you can shave that one LOL or have electrology.

Ok, I hope this helps. Laser saved my life-worth every penny!

ETA: large areas like arms and legs are the most expensive. If you do the full leg, it's like 1000 dollars a leg. But you can do spots at a time and move down. or, Just the spots you plan on tattooing.
Good lasers do not use gel. Good lasers have cryogen cooling systems and not cool tips.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
mere24's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 751
Feedback: (28)
I go every 5 weeks and have been about 8 times now to remove upper lip hair & some stubborn stray hairs under my chin (). It works well and I think I'll only have to go once more now. Everyone is different so you may have to go more than 8 times or less depending on the hair and the area you want to remove it from.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loving life!-outside of the city, Washington
Posts: 14,498
Feedback: (37)
Thanks for the input sunshine and Meredith

Thanks Charla, I'll check for that when I'm looking around.
__________________
Hi baby!!!!!
TR gunmetal & desperado & road dog joeys 24 sz 23 aquarius/barcelona/rifle/duke/moss savoys
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyL View Post
Good lasers do not use gel. Good lasers have cryogen cooling systems and not cool tips.
I was referring to the gel placed on the patient before the use of the laser-the same gel that they use for ultrasounds. I know I go to a reputable place and I have heard from others that the places they went to and no gel was applied to the area being treated. It's just anesthetic gel. All decent places use it. I wasn't talking about the actual electronic components of the laser.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine23 View Post
I was referring to the gel placed on the patient before the use of the laser-the same gel that they use for ultrasounds. I know I go to a reputable place and I have heard from others that the places they went to and no gel was applied to the area being treated. It's just anesthetic gel. All decent places use it. I wasn't talking about the actual electronic components of the laser.
Are you talking about a numbing gel?


Staycii when you are ready to have it done let me know and I'll help you search for a good place in your area and we'll find the right machine for your hair and skin type. The prices vary for different areas and the results are amazing. I maybe have to shave my legs and underarms twice a year. The hair that does come in is so thin and fine no one will even notice its there.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
princessfashion's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,002
Feedback: (53)
Charla, would you be able to help me find a good place in my area? My skin gets really irritated from shaving and my husband is always telling me to get laser hair removal...I just don't know what to look for when searching for a place to get it done.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
agalarowicz's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,053
Feedback: (36)
im in the process of getting it done (bikini and underarms) and love it. for some reason my bikini hair is coming off so much easier than the underarm hair. i'd say its pretty uncomfortable getting it done, but my skin is quite sensitive. totally worth it, imo

friskyl, any idea why the underarms are taking longer, or is it just dependent on the person?
__________________
~Amber~
Easy Petite Looks
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfashion View Post
Charla, would you be able to help me find a good place in my area? My skin gets really irritated from shaving and my husband is always telling me to get laser hair removal...I just don't know what to look for when searching for a place to get it done.Thanks so much!
Sure Taryn. Just let me know what color the hair is in the area you want done and how thick it is. I already know you are pale so you are a type I. Also let me know the city you live in and I'll search around for you tomorrow at work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agalarowicz View Post
im in the process of getting it done (bikini and underarms) and love it. for some reason my bikini hair is coming off so much easier than the underarm hair. i'd say its pretty uncomfortable getting it done, but my skin is quite sensitive. totally worth it, imo

friskyl, any idea why the underarms are taking longer, or is it just dependent on the person?
Try exfoliating the underarms really well with a loofah or a scrub. Sometimes that will help.

Its really odd how it works. Some follicles are thicker in some areas than others and die faster or just take longer to die. The norm is the darker and thicker the better it responds. Not always the case though. My underarms were pretty much done in 5 sessions as well as my bikini. Now the hair that does come back in is very thin and fine when it does grow. When i say grow i mean a few random stray hairs. I usually do a touch-up on all areas once every six months to get rid of the fine hair and keep anything new from coming in. The hair on my arms was never thick but was dark and fine. I have had a bitch of a time getting rid of it. I've probably had 14 sessions on them and i still get more hair coming back there than any other area. Everyone is different. I have a girl that has underarms that do not respond to laser at all. The rest of her body does great.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
marka666's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BK
Posts: 5,689
Feedback: (21)
Charla, would you mind recommending someone in NYC for me as well? I'm saving up for it right now and really want to get it done at Beam Laser Spa (they have really good reviews), but thought maybe there's something just as good but cheaper
__________________
my blog
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juliasfit
^ Get 15% off with code AF2012
"Like" us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/JuliasFit
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marka666 View Post
Charla, would you mind recommending someone in NYC for me as well? I'm saving up for it right now and really want to get it done at Beam Laser Spa (they have really good reviews), but thought maybe there's something just as good but cheaper
Just looked at their website and they don't have their prices on there so I cant tell you whats cheaper. However they do have a gmax which is what I have and is basically the best laser you can get IMO. I have other lasers and this one is superior. You have pale skin and dark thick hair right? The gmax is 2 lasers in one box so they would use the alexandrite on you most likely. Call around and see if you can find another place with a Candela gentlemax or gentlelase and compare prices. If you can't find one let me know their prices at beam and we'll try to find you something cheaper. Also need to know what areas you are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyL View Post
Are you talking about a numbing gel?


Staycii when you are ready to have it done let me know and I'll help you search for a good place in your area and we'll find the right machine for your hair and skin type. The prices vary for different areas and the results are amazing. I maybe have to shave my legs and underarms twice a year. The hair that does come in is so thin and fine no one will even notice its there.
yes. I guess i couldn't find the right words in the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
marka666's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BK
Posts: 5,689
Feedback: (21)
It's 600 per session for legs or 6 for 3000. Sometimes they have seasonal promotions where you pay for 4, and get 6.
I want to start with legs (full) and maybe basic bikini, if it's included in the full leg package.

This place EXCY LASER - Laser Hair Removal, Laser Facial with Affirm, Complexion Analysis with Visia - Laser Center in New York, New York, Welcome to www.excylaser.com has decent reviews too, and much cheaper, unless you count in all the tips you're required to give after each session

And I'll call this one to see what her prices are like A Gentle Touch - Upper East Side - New York, NY
__________________
my blog
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juliasfit
^ Get 15% off with code AF2012
"Like" us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/JuliasFit
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine23 View Post
yes. I guess i couldn't find the right words in the moment.
Ok I was really confused. There are lasers where you have to put gel on the area first and then press a cold tip to numb then zap. Those are kind of outdated and don't work as well. I thought this is what you were talking about. Numbing agents are always good. I tell my patients to take a couple of advil 30 mins before as well.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Denim God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Loving life!-outside of the city, Washington
Posts: 14,498
Feedback: (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyL View Post


Staycii when you are ready to have it done let me know and I'll help you search for a good place in your area and we'll find the right machine for your hair and skin type. The prices vary for different areas and the results are amazing. I maybe have to shave my legs and underarms twice a year. The hair that does come in is so thin and fine no one will even notice its there.
Awesome, thank you Charla!
__________________
Hi baby!!!!!
TR gunmetal & desperado & road dog joeys 24 sz 23 aquarius/barcelona/rifle/duke/moss savoys
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Mariya I would say no to that excy place. I see no medical credentials anywhere on that website. Their laser is ok but something is off about a website that doesnt say who is performing the treatments or if there is a medical professional on staff or at least in the building.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
pinkpenguinsx3's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 502
Feedback: (5)
My mom tried it this week actually and really liked it. She said I can use part of her package but my hair is light blonde (everywhere but my head). Hers is dark brown so it should work for her. I might try it but I don't know if it will be worth it!
__________________
-brigid
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpenguinsx3 View Post
My mom tried it this week actually and really liked it. She said I can use part of her package but my hair is light blonde (everywhere but my head). Hers is dark brown so it should work for her. I might try it but I don't know if it will be worth it!
If your hair i light blonde then most likely it wont work or not very well.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM
lynette21s's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,341
Feedback: (34)
Staycii definitely do the laser removal, I got my underarms done and I it! I want to get my legs too! it can be pretty pricey, but I guess it depends where you go.

Seems like we have great help here for that
__________________
*Lynette*
Selling: NWT WR Debbie Punk leggings 26
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
agalarowicz's Avatar
Jean Junkie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,053
Feedback: (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyL View Post
Try exfoliating the underarms really well with a loofah or a scrub. Sometimes that will help.
thanks i'll just keep going and hope one time it will all vanish...
__________________
~Amber~
Easy Petite Looks
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM
chubbs's Avatar
Denim Obsessed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 705
Feedback: (10)
Is it common to find a person that just wont respond to treatment? I did 5 sessions of my arms and I still look like a wookie. No change at all.

I did 3 sessions on my underarms, but had to quit because we moved. They were starting to look more sparse. I was going to start it up again, but they look just as furry as ever...

I'm pretty pale...arms have light brown hair, underarms have dark brown.

ETA: Crap, just read a thread that if you wait longer than 6-8 weeks, you eff up the cycle. Guess that's what happened to my underarms. I'm on week 9.
__________________
Stephanie
Wants: sz 30 Lowky 71J , SFAM Kimmies, R&R Death Metal [any and all] -- 33+ inseam
eBay stuff! (7FAM, Paige, James Jeans, R&R) - Buy me!

Last edited by chubbs; 05-07-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
ugadawgrx's Avatar
Denim God
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,227
Feedback: (100)
Charla do you know any good places in Atlanta?? I would love to have this done if I can get money saved up.

I wish I could get it done in one session because I would go visit my family out in LA and get it done at your place
__________________
Hi, I'm Jessica
My wishes Anthro Field Game Cardi S/M gray Diesel Matic 81m(25/26)_SFAM DHV A Pocket(26)_TR Joey Triples_SuperOM Stitch Bobby_RR Green/Black Crown(Fit 25)
My ebay auctions HERE My facebook HERE

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2010, 01:11 PM
FriskyL's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,278
Feedback: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadawgrx View Post
Charla do you know any good places in Atlanta?? I would love to have this done if I can get money saved up.

I wish I could get it done in one session because I would go visit my family out in LA and get it done at your place
I can look around for you if you want Jessica. Yeah you need 6-8 sessions spaced on in a 6 week period depending on the area.

To everyone else that asked me to help them find laser places I will do it on Tues. We've been extremely busy at work and I am in between patients right now so I wont have time today. I swear I will get to it next week for Mariya and Taryn also.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70